Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Tyger by William Blake

"Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?" 
-William Blake, 1794

Electric Keychain's last project of the year is a Calendar inspired by books. Every artist had a month to illustrate and mine was April, which is National Poetry month. I illustrated my favourite poem, William Blake's "The Tyger." Blake was also an artist, so this illustration is also a tribute to one of my favourite pieces of his, "The Ancient of Days."


I'm not an immortal hand or eye but I dared frame his fearful symmetry...in the clouds!

I love calendars and every year I have a couple decorating my wall. I'm picky with the April image since it's my birth month. Usually I look for something calm and spring-themed (rain is fine too as long as it's happy puddles rain and not dreary sadness clouds rain.) So a fierce "Tyger" in a tempestuous environment is really out of the norm for me in terms of what I'd like to see in an April image. Also figured this was a piece in which I absolutely could not lean towards my usual cutesy look.

I first read "The Tyger" in Tracy Chevalier's book "Burning Bright." She writes a lot of historical fiction aimed at the arts, which is right up my alley. I highly recommend her "Girl With a Pearl Earring."

I realized after I was done that I have been using a lot of blue-orange complementary colour schemes lately but it's been mostly coincidental. I just used colours I found worked and they happened to be blue and orange!

Today, I am featuring some lovely EK people since I was especially excited about this project. Everybody got to nerd around about books and literature and I loved seeing what everybody found close to heart from what they've read. Here's a few pieces I especially liked for particular reasons: 

Jennifer Ely's "Winter Is Coming"
©Jennifer Ely 2011
You are always in for a treat when it comes to Jenn's portraits. This summer I started reading George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice & Fire" series and was therefore really excited when I saw her initial sketch. She has HOW MANY characters in this piece? Eight! From the wolf silhouette, to the likenesses, to the sword, to the tree, she absolutely nailed this and I can't imagine how any Game of Thrones fan would NOT love this.

Find more of Jennifer's awesome portraits at jenniferely.com

Carly Strickland's Sherlock Holmes
©Carly Strickland 2011
This is definitely my favourite piece that Carly has ever made. There was so much care put into  picking all the details and arranging them in the image. All of these items serve to portray a more accurate portrait of Holmes than just his face would do, and that is why this piece works so well.

Find more of Carly's vectors at carlystricklandart.com

Francis Anderson's Cat's Cradle, Ice-ix
©Francis Anderson 2011
Francis's piece is so effective because you make a double take. "Oh it's a gentle little snowflake, look how gingerly the hazmat guy is handling... the ice-ix that could obliterate life on Earth?!" Also, nice touch with the reflection on the helmet.

Definitely check out Francis's animations at callmefrancis.com/

Last but not least, a honorable mention for Elizabeth Allen!
©Elizabeth Allen 2011
She agreed to make a piece on extremely short notice and I was surprised to find out it was a 3D illustration. I don't often come across people who make 3D illus but I'm always intrigued by them. You're using an entirely different skill set and way of thinking, while still having to be conscious of how it will turn out as a 2D image and composition. She certainly captured the serene nature of Wordsworth's poem.

Find more of Elizabeth at lizexists.carbonmade.com/

Finally, here is a glimpse into my process work:
Refer to this previous post for more in-depth information.

Thumbnail: He looks cutesy here and those clouds are awful. This is basically a glorified thumbnail, the skeleton for my composition. Again, it's not a refined comp or refined thumbnail since it's a personal project and I knew what I wanted. If this was for a professional purpose, I would have never turned this in.


Drawing: The drawing!  Graphite on bristol board.


Flatting: Scanned the drawing and turned it into a 70's rainbow piñata. These are flat, inconsequential colours that I obviously changed later.


Colours & textures: And then I play around with the colours and the textures. This is a colour scheme I really liked but it didn't quite fit the mood of the piece like the final colour scheme does.


And then after this, it's just the final piece you see at the top!

2 comments:

  1. ah, i just love the texture in your thumbnails. i think that it comes from my love of pencil lines.

    i really like the colors in the final, and everyone's pieces look great! oh, and i found a tutorial that i had saved a long, long time ago that kind'a explains what i talked about in your last post : http://destiny-makers.net/junk/background_painting.jpg

    except my process is backwards in that i use the purples first, then add the colors. i just wonder if there's an even easier way to do this, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I see what you're saying now! I think that even goes back to classical painting techniques, where you just paint the values first and afterwards glaze in the colours. Tends to work much better than trying to match colours to the correct value. In fact, I think I remember learning that first in Mat Tech II with Rogers. See? Awesome class, awesome professor!

    ReplyDelete