Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Book Lady - Savannah GA

The latest Electric Keychain project is aimed towards small/local businesses. We could pick absolutely anything and I picked one of my favourite places in Savannah, The Book Lady.


I was very impressed the first time I visited The Book Lady. Before this, I'd only ever visited one used book store in Costa Rica, and while that was impressive, this was even more so. The stacks of books practically tower over you. It REALLY did look like your stereotypical, fairy tale bookstore. Brown tones, soft lights, brick walls, chimney, cozy sofas, so many books packed in spaces so tight that you may not be able to pass through, a soft note of old paper lingering in the air and an undisturbed silence.

But the most impressive part is that staircase at the back of the store. I've often wondered, when was the last time it was a functioning staircase (rather than a stepped bookcase?) How long have those books been there? Does any one person know exactly which books are on each step? Who lives on the top floor? Did the books populate it up until the top story tenants had no choice but to relinquish the staircase to the books?

For this piece, I'll share some of my technique/process with you.

Lately when people ask me how my illustrations are made, no matter how much I explain it, a lot of people still don't fully understand it. So I figured I'd share my process in depth. But essentially, it's as simple as: drawing, scanning, and colouring digitally.

Preface: Thumbnail.


This is my gigantified thumbnail, which I vaguely traced it onto the final piece of paper. I could have done it by eye but I prefer magnifying the thumbnail (it was originally about 3" tall) since it keeps the original proportions I had intended. If this had been work for a professional purpose, I would have made a refined comp sketch instead of going straight to the final drawing, but since it was more of a personal project and I knew exactly what I wanted, I just went straight to the final drawing.

Step 1 and 2: Line drawing and values.


Ideally I would have taken a picture of the line drawing and THEN a picture of the values but it only occurred to me to share the process after I had half the values done. I will make note of this for future "process" posts.

Step 3: Scanning and cleaning. 


Once the values are done, I scan the drawing, also at a magnified size since I prefer to work small but the print size needs to be larger. Then, I clean the scan on Photoshop since there may be parts I couldn't erase entirely, dust from the scanner, etc. 

Step 4: Photoshop - Flatting?


I am borrowing the term "flatting" from comic artists, who apparently do this a lot. You grab whatever colours and fill in the spaces where different colours are supposed to go, all in different layers in Photoshop. So at this point it looks like a piƱata explosion, but the colours don't really matter, all that matters is to have each area properly selected so that you can quickly change the colours later.

Step 5 and 6: Photoshop - Colouring and textures.

There's no screenshot for this step since it's pretty much what you see in the final illustration. 

I tend to work on colours and textures at the same time since the values of a texture WILL affect the values of the colour (that's the whole point.) So for example, if I have a red colour, it might turn pink when I apply the texture. Hence, it's best to work with these simultaneously rather than start with colours that I have "perfected" and don't want altered in any way, because they WILL be altered once the texture is applied. Applying textures often results in the loss of clarity in some of my linework values but that doesn't bother me.

And that's all for this week!

3 comments:

  1. ahhh, i love seeing people's processes!

    i think we talked about this before but i've tried this method, or something like this method; some looked good while others looked . . . well, not so good and perhaps it's because i didn't use the "flatting" method. :(

    i've used a method where i use different shades of purple and overlay colors on top of them but i'm thinking that this is pretty different, and probably a lot easier to adjust.

    but anyway, i like the completed piece a lot! you should definitely post more about your process with your pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaay glad you liked it!


    All flatting does is it makes it quicker for you to select a colour to use it later. Since it's a time-consuming process, comic artists tend to hire someone else to do the flatting for them , and then, the artist can just come in and adjust the colours to their liking (with Hue/Saturation.)

    I'm curious about your method now, I'm not entirely sure what you mean so if you're sharing it soon definitely let me know :)

    And I do layer colours sometimes but my latest pieces haven't really needed it. But for example, I'll have a layer of yellow underneath and a layer of purple on top and then I'll erase bits of the purple so that the yellow comes through (I mean you could always just paint the purple on top but I prefer the shapes and gradients I can get with erasing.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh actually, I did the layering in this one recently. Look at the magnet in this post http://tatidengo.blogspot.com/2011/11/offbeat-alphabet-q-n-i.html

    The magnets have a green-blue gradient going on. It's subtle but it's there. If I remember correctly, they had a layer of flat green at the bottom and a layer of textured blue at the top (the texture is also subtle but it's there!)

    ReplyDelete