Friday, January 28, 2011

Crocodile Zoo Poster


One of the classes I'm taking this quarter is Illustration Portfolio with Professor Linda Warner Constantino. It's more of a self-directed class, which  means I get to choose the projects I want to do (with art direction from the professor, of course.) I have a lot of goals I'm aiming to accomplish in terms of art this quarter so this is the perfect class to do it.

I chose to do a series of animal-themed illustrations because I really enjoy drawing them but I realized my current portfolio doesn't reflect that as much as I'd like.

The first of the series is this poster for a zoo, featuring crocodiles and an Egyptian plover!

I am very happy with how this piece turned out since I accomplished every single goal I set for it. I used a very systematic approach of: thumbnails, a preliminary sketch, a refined sketch, a value comp, and finally a colour comp. It's basically doing research on yourself and your art before you even begin the final piece. It also printed out true to the colours on the screen which is always a plus! Aaaand I also left enough space for the possible addition of type in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment