Saturday, December 4, 2010

When there came along a fairy...

...who whisked his wings right off! 

(Click image to view larger.)

This is the second of 3 illustrations I completed for Children's Book Illustration with Professor Daniel Powers this quarter. Here is the first one if you haven't seen it yet.

You may not be able to tell since I haven't shown the images preceding this spread, but to clear it up, the little green dude on the corner is the butterfly (his antennae are being whisked off along with the wings,) and the dandelion is the fairy. I specifically did not want to have a humanoid fairy and I figured some kind of flower would work instead, and it did!

So yes, FAIRIES, KITTENS AND BUTTERFLIES. In a Children's Book. Awesome, right? 

In case you missed it in the last post, here is Carolyn Wells' poem that I used for my book:

A kitten went a-walking
One morning in July,
And idly fell a-talking
With a great big butterfly.


The kitten's tone was airy,
The butterfly would scoff;
When there came along a fairy
Who whisked his wings right off.


And then--for it is written
Fairies can do such things--
Upon the startled kitten
She stuck the yellow wings.


The kitten felt a quiver,
She rose into the air,
Then flew down to the river
To view her image there.


With fear her heart was smitten,
And she began to cry,
"Am I a butter-kitten?
Or just a kitten-fly?"


Image © Tatiana Dengo 2010. 

3 comments:

  1. I remember thinking that fairy was a bird. Haha.

    -Steven Ingram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I'm still not sure where you saw the beak. Do you see its dandelion-ness now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tati this is AWSOME!!!!!!! LOVE IT, will you design a website for me when you come back?

    ReplyDelete