Saturday, February 26, 2011

Chocolate Milk Bottle Design

I have a penchant for consuming and enjoying chocolate and anything else you can make with it.

For Vector Illustration, we had to create a package design for a product of our choice, the most common example being a beer bottle and I said screw that, I want a milk chocolate bottle, a CUTE milk chocolate bottle... with a cute animal on it.

So I decided to use a bear! That was after many suggestions to use a rabbit (Nesquik, anyone?) Funny how all these products are so deeply ingrained in our minds yet we don't realize it until this happens, just like when I made the drawing for the mural and gave the crocodile a thumbs-up (there's a CR product with a crocodile mascot that gives you a thumbs-up.)

This was the original, brainstorming sketch:

My professor liked the idea, so he suggested I take advantage of the cuteness of the bear by turning it into a character (basically turn it into something personable that can sell the product, put a soul behind those eyes), so this is the revised sketch:

There was no need to sketch the body since I planned to make it by using basic geometric shapes on Illustrator to keep the edges clean for a label. 

So after making use of the magic of Adobe Illustrator, I created my ideal chocolate milk label:


I also went on the FDA's website to find out the regulations for Nutrition Facts labels (very interesting from a typographic sense!) though I didn't follow them 100%.

Then I made a mock-up by digitally placing it on the actual container. I used a Starbucks frapuccino bottle because they are very cute and I've always wished they contained chocolate milk too:

A couple weeks ago I mentioned how a wood grain texture can very easily look VERY "Photoshoppy" but this time around I made it work.

I also had fun designing the logo for it. I originally wanted something simple and elegant but from a commercial stand point, even though there's a bear on the bottle and that's reason enough to initiate that spark of "Hmmm, what is this? Should I buy this?," the brand still has to stand out on its own. It became tricky at one point since the syllables "oco" and "oso" were right on top of each other and affected legibility by being so similar.

Also, name is a pun in Spanish. "Chocolatoso" means "chocolate-y" and "oso" means "bear," so there you go. I usually don't use Spanish in my projects but this time I made an exception because: 1) I love puns, 2) the name is easy enough that any English speaker can pronounce it without too much trouble (since I'm in the U.S.) 3) the basic understanding of CHOCOLATE is there for many other languages as well.

"it's bear-y delicious!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment