Monday, November 1, 2010

Wine Label - The Vicar

Our third Advertising illustration project: make a wine label for Chapel Hill's flagship wine,"The Vicar."

Initially, the aim of the project was to keep it uppity and elegant, something suitable for a high-price wine such as The Vicar. Eventually we just decided to go for a more playful, less uppity approach, but still keeping the name and such.

I decided to go for a wrap-around label since I've always found those most amusing on bottles. They give you something to entertain yourself with.

I did some research on the Shiraz grapes which are grown in McLaren Vale.  Some recurring themes were: the great Mediterranean climate, the rolling hills and the ocean visible just past them; so I made the illustration with that image in mind.  The medium is graphite and digital.

And here is the result: 


The colours printed out slightly darker than the original.


Close ups:


 As you can see, the seam is right at the doors. Originally these were gonna be closed to allow for a cleaner seam but I figured it'd be more interesting to have them just slightly open, and it was! The only problem is at the time, I didn't account for the thicker paper I used to print it out, so that's why there is a little white seam there, but that's easily fixable.

The only thing I would do different is to change the letters of the logo to the light yellow of the other letters, I didn't do it at the time since I didn't know if we were allowed to alter the logo.

Note: I don't own the Chapel Hill logo nor the "The Vicar" logo. These were only used for this class's purposes. The only type treatment I did was for "Shiraz 2007, 750ml."

All images ©Tatiana Dengo 2010 (with the exception of the logos, as noted above.)

No comments:

Post a Comment